Monday, March 26, 2012

Art and Words

I have long admired the photography of Layli Samimi-Aazami.  It turns out, this multifaceted little lady is also a poet, and she started a weekly segment on her blog where she added quotes and poems to her art.  I asked if she would be interested in adding words to a piece I made recently that reminded me of the Black Hills/Badlands area of South Dakota, where my family used to vacation.  Have you ever asked yourself how many people you know who have lived in South Dakota?  Well I have.  It turns out Layli and her husband are the ONLY people I have ever known who have actually lived there! 

Here is my art with her words over it:


In truth, we are all missing out by not living in South Dakota because the landscape is freaking beautiful, plus there are these majestic (and also large, scraggly and frightening) creatures known as BUFFALO just freely roaming about.  And here is a litle fun fact: a buffalo can outrun a horse!

When I read these words that Layli suggested for this piece, I immediately clicked with them.  The Badlands are a place where you feel the power of nature.  Beneath the gigantic sky that can darken into a storm in a matter of minutes, you are given the space to get back in touch with who you are, and to grapple with life's big questions.  Or you can just check out the prairie dogs and buy some fool's gold at the Mount Rushmore gift shop. The choice is yours!


This piece can be purchased, sans words, at my ETSY store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...